"I'm a big fan of Brett's. If candidates ask me about him for 2008, I'm going to recommend him."Ken Mehlman, Chairman, Republican Party (New York Times, March 19, 2006)
"The guy has great chops. He knows more about presidential debates than anyone I've ever talked to." Mark McKinnon, President, Maverick Media and Media Advisor to President Bush (New York Times, March 19, 2006)
“Politicians without debate experience often find themselves at a disadvantage when elections approach, so some call in the experts. Republicans count on Brett O’Donnell, the former Liberty University debate coach who has helped candidates George W. Bush, John McCain, and Sarah Palin prep for national debates.” (Washingtonian Magazine
, November 2009)
“It's no secret that Jerry Kilgore's performance at the July 16 debate exceeded all expectations.
Some detractors said that all the Republican candidate for governor had to do to exceed expectations was to avoid tripping over his tie as he walked onto the stage.
But Kilgore offered a disciplined, effective performance. He seemed well-prepared for all of the questions thrown his way, and was clearly ready for the brief back-and-forth with Tim Kaine. At previous meetings between the two -- and there have been few -- Kaine clearly had the edge and was able to rattle Kilgore. This time, Kaine seemed to be back on his heels more than once.
So what happened?
Maybe the person to ask is Brett O'Donnell.”
July 26, 2005)
Awards and Recognition
- Numerous articles recognizing skills in communications in the New York Times, Washington Post, Newsweek, Slate, CBS News and other media outlets.
- Guest on Comedy Central’s, The Colbert Report (February 2006)
- Guest Lecturer at the Institute of Politics, Harvard University, Fall, 2006
- Guest Lecturer at the LBJ School of Government, University of Texas, Spring 2006
- Participant in 2008 Presidential Campaign Preview Program, Harvard Institute of Politics, February 2007
- National Debate Tournament Keele Intercollegiate Debate Coach of the Year, 1996
Messaging for the website and script production for the ad that appear on www.lifeshealingchoices.com (a Church-wide campaign developed by Rick Warren for churches nationwide)
Messaging for the www.radicalis.com website for Rick Warren's 2010 Pastor's Conference
Radicalis Marketing Card for 2011 Church Conference at Rick Warren's Saddleback Church
Life's Healing Choices Promotion Card (Church Campaign developed for Rick Warren and Saddleback Church)